Thursday, February 28, 2008

Only a birth junkie would appreciate this

This is so stinking cute I just had to share it.

Last night our community had a "Business of Being Born" screening. I wouldn't say I "dragged" John along, because he was actually looking forward to seeing it, after hearing me talk about it for months on end. (Also, he was a lifesaver by carrying armloads of junk in for the Doula booth. but I digress.)

This surprised me, because, although he is wonderfully supportive of me and the doula/cbe biz, he HATES watching birth movies. He's okay with birth-themed movies, but he's very squeamish about seeing the "blood and guts" (his words, not mine) and *gasp* the actual baby emerging from the actual vagina. He's been forewarned about the movie's content, but he remains by my side out of pure love and devotion. (aw.) *warm fuzzies*

So, the movie starts and we see a lot of great footage and learn some amazing stuff about this Business of Being Born. I'm utterly enthralled, but every now and again I can feel John cringe ever so slightly in preparation for some horrific image that never quite appears. Somehow he manages to keep a brave face.
My hero. <3

There is one waterbirth early in the film. The midwife is very hands-off, and observes peacefully as the mother squats alone in her birth pool. Through the dim lighting, we can see that baby's head has just been born. Mother lets out a slow breath punctuated by a soft little moan, then in one quiet motion she reaches down to retrieve her newborn.

John turns to me, wide-eyed, mouth gaping, and says... "That's it?"

ROFL :D :D :D

No comments:

Post a Comment