I feel like the unluckiest doula ever, right now.
Recently, I wrote about missing a client's birth (preterm/34 wks and precipitous/3 hr labor). Well, I had one more client due in January that I was gearing up for. She actually lives out of state but planned to stay with family here in Utah during the holidays and her last 5 weeks of pregnancy. I've been trying to contact her about our prenatals and kept getting her voicemail, and every time I e-mailed her, the messages bounced back. To be honest, I was afraid she might have forgotten about me. This would make 2 of my certification births that fell through.
WELL... I finally got a hold of her today. She had an emergency c-section 2 days ago! Baby was in serious trouble but is now responding well to treatment. The birth was traumatic and mom is still in shock. Baby will be in NICU for at least 5 weeks, and mom is stressed out! I'm going to visit her as soon as I can, and just like my other preemie mom, I'm providing her some info on kangaroo care and breasfeeding a preemie.
I want to do something extra special for this mom, considering the gravity of her situation. (I'd be with her right now, if I didn't live so flingin'-flangin' far away. *grumble*) I can still be her doula, as she is in bad shape at the moment and I can tell that she needs me. Any ideas of a thoughtful postpartum doula-y gift I can bring her? My usual doula gifts just won't do, I'm afraid.
p.s. I have another mom due in February... And she's high risk. Hope my bad luck doesn't rub off on her, too. Just praying that I get to attend at least ONE of my cert births! gaaah!
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment