I'm bringing this blog back from the dead to report that we are having a busy month around here! and it isn't even Saturday yet.
Next week, John is flying out to California to spend Spring Break with his dad. They've been planning this for months, but for some reason, I can't retain the dates in my head. "What days will you be gone, again?" is my most frequently-uttered phrase of the last 4 weeks. The guys are looking forward to it, and I'm so glad they get to spend some good father-son time together, but it's going to be awfully quiet around here. Although I will miss John and I admit that I'm jealous of all the fun "spoiling" that he's bound to receive, I'm not the type to get bored or lonely on my own (I was single for a long time, you know!), so I imagine I'll have my own kind of fun watching chick flicks, eating comfort food, hanging pictures, listening to loud music and vacuuming my staircase or something.
While John is out living it up in Cali, my parents and sister will be driving out to Utah from Nebraska for their Spring Break. This is always a treat, and I'm so excited to see them. Mom and Dad were in town a couple of months ago, and I wonder how often I'll get to see them once they move back to Utah later this year, but it always seems like they've been away forever. While they're here, it's perfect timing to celebrate our 2 March birthday girls, my sister Becky and my baby niece Kate, who turns TWELVE this year. Twelve! (I think I just grew 5 gray hairs.) I get to spoil my sister with her traditional birthday carrot cake, and this year Mom and Dad get to join in the fun. Wheee! And since I'll be in town, I'll get to visit baby Elaina again. Between my distaste for travel and the stormy winter we've had, I haven't been to see her since Halloween! She is getting so big, and staying strong, and she's a beautiful little thing. Judging by my sister's photos, Elaina looks more and more like her mama every day! I can't wait to give her a million Auntie-cuddles.
THEN! John's sister recently announced that she's getting married! It's always great news to hear that someone special to you has found everlasting love. :) But we still haven't met this mystery man, and John is quite anxious to fulfill his Big Brother role and size up this groom-to-be and possibly intimidate him a little. On purpose, even. (Sorry, Megan, but you know he's gonna give him the evil eye. Hope your man doesn't scare easily.) So Megan and Walter will be coming up to Logan for a visit later this month, and we're looking forward to... many moments of awkward silence across the dinner table together. Ohhhhhh, my. ;)
Some of you may have heard that I hurt my back last week. I wouldn't necessarily call it an "injury," as it seemed to happen out of the blue, but it was a brand new experience for me! Sciatica. For those of you who haven't been kissed by the dewy lips of this delightful little stupid human trick, let me explain. Sciatica is when a red hot, spike-edged machete is plunged through your lower back--shattering your hip bones and shredding all the muscle tissue and organs in its path--then pours hot acid down your leg until you throw up, black out repeatedly, and eventually beg for death.
I am so in love with sciatica right now.
Actually, I thought I was going to die. I've had back pain before, I've had broken bones, abdominal surgery, three miscarriages and assorted "female issues" that could fell an elephant, but I don't remember any of those things causing me such an intense level of discomfort. I panicked. I tried ice, heat, massage, TENS unit, anything I could think of, but I was absolutely crippled by this stupid thing. I eventually went to a chiropractor, even though I have no health insurance. (That's significant, if you know me at all.) I'm pleased to report that I'm back on my feet, even though I'm limping a bit. I've had to resort to sleeping on the floor, however, because our old spring mattress is just too soft for me right now, and it re-injures me every time I crawl into it. (John has to lift me out of bed. I love my strong man.) The other day, we discovered that our bed frame was broken, causing the middle of our bed to sag. So we threw it out and put our box springs directly on the floor. [It's like a dorm room in there. I totally feel like a college student's wife right now. :) haha] Unfortunately, that didn't help me at all (bed still conspires to murder me in my sleep), so we're just waiting this out. The floor is miserable, but it's the only solution I've found. I've been back to the chiropractor, and some days I feel like I'm getting better, other days I feel like I've been cured, but most days I wonder "what's the point?" The mornings are the worst, because my joints and muscles are so stiff, but I'm now finally able to get myself to the bathroom by myself (which is a major accomplishment, let me tell you)!! I spend half of my work day wandering the halls or standing in my cubicle (not getting much work done) because my chair is not a great place to be for very long. I just hope I continue to get stronger over the next few days so I can take care of myself while John is away. He has been so good to me, so patient and attentive. Best. TLC. Ever.
I was just thinking that it's a good thing doula business has been slow for me lately, because I don't know how in the world I'd be able to attend a birth with this bad back. Someone tell me to stop complaining!!!
So that's all. I'm sure it's not exactly the triumphant return anybody was expecting, but that's all you're gettin'! ;) It's all I can manage today. Time to relax with an ice pack and a hard, straight-backed chair. *sigh*
Friday, March 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







I am so glad that you FINALLY updated! LOL! Not that I've been much better at updating my blog! ;) I'm sorry to hear that your back is causing SO much pain and problems for you. No fun. What time is John's flight on Wednesday? I might be able to go up still later in the day..... Let me know, otherwise we can just plan another day. Also, the day he comes back might work if you let me know when that is!
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I just leave your blog open all the time and listen to your AMAZING playlist. You rock. Literally!
Love you!!!!
Hope to see you soon!
Hol
John's plane leaves at around 8:00 on Wednesday so we'll have to leave here right after work and I'll have to head straight back home because I have work in the morning.. He'll be back on Sunday afternoon, though, so that could be a great day for a family get-together. Haven't heard a peep from Kearney folk so I have no idea what's on the agenda or if I'm being far too demanding by suggesting a birthday party this weekend.
ReplyDeletebtw, I'm glad you like my playlist! I was hoping someone out there would! I keep it going at work, too. I usually listen to Pandora, but it tends to get old (HA! like a 200-song playlist doesn't get old?) and sometimes Pandora doesn't load up for me, so I stick with what I know and love. I just fixed a bunch of broken links, too, so you should have about 20 "new" songs on the rotation now!