Thursday, March 19, 2009

Glamour Boys

I've mentioned this briefly before, but I'm a bit of a sucker for glam rock. (Okay, decidedly more than "a bit." I admit it.) It's a guilty pleasure of mine. I typically peg myself as a "Classic Rock Junkie," and indeed I am first and foremost a Beatles/Zeppelin/Floyd/Hendrix kinda girl. But this Glam Rock is another creature. It's hypnotic, mesmerizing, energizing, indulgent, enticing, seductive and unapologetically fabulous. And... hot mama, the grooves, the vocal stylings, the lyrical creativity (and often absurdity), the glitter and guyliner, the naughtiness, the androgyny... I love it all. My personal favorites include the indispensible David Bowie, T-Rex and Roxy Music all the way forward to Queen, Adam Ant, Duran Duran and The Cure, to my latest loverboys Ima Robot.

(btw, if you're a glam rock fan and have never seen the film "Velvet Goldmine" -- what are you waiting for?!)
(p.s. it's rated R for a reason. don't say I didn't warn you.)

I only bring this up today because a new Glamour Boy has caught my attention. His name is Adam Lambert and he's a contestant on this season of American Idol. He's been one of my early favorites to win this year (alongside the astoundingly gifted Danny Gokey and powerhouse Lil Rounds), and this week he... well, let's just say I had to stop myself from licking the TV screen. He's a beautiful, scorching, intensely fierce, slithering force of nature, with this ridiculous voice that breaks the sound barrier (that VOICE!!! have mercy). Now, in my limited sphere of Adam-knowledge, no one I know of has described him as "glam," but take a look at this. People either "get" this performance, or they're confused and/or disgusted by it, but this Lady (yours truly) GETS IT. Oh, do I ever get it. I can't get enough of it. This boy is bringing Glam back, folks. In all its blue-tinted glory.

May the Glam Rock gods smile upon you in all your guaranteed and well-deserved successes, Mr. Lambert.



*heart* *cherry* *lipgloss* ;)

4 comments:

  1. I was totally mezmerized by his performance. He can sing his rear end off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never even LIKED "Ring of Fire" -- and I'm totally ready to make Adam Lambert's version of it my personal theme song. Or the National Anthem. Or my ringtone.
    Great googly moogly but that boy can SING. whoa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. I totally hear Jeff Buckley in these vocals. Jeff Buckley had killer pipes, too. (R.I.P.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man. your writing KILLS me. ha. it makes me smile :)

    ReplyDelete