Tuesday, July 14, 2009

28 Weeks

THIRD TRIMESTER, BABY!!!! I can't believe I made it this far. I never thought I would make it this far, but here I am!

HOLY CRAP, I'M HAVING A BABY IN 3 MONTHS. :O

This week has been quite the adventure. My first week of unemployment. I spent Monday as a domestic goddess, taking on chores that neither John nor I had been able to tackle in months. It felt great to scratch my nesting itch. I figured, "I could get used to this!" I really have a TON of stuff to get done around the house this summer, so being employed is the perfect opportunity to do it.

By Tuesday, I wasn't feeling as motivated. I did, however, have a fantastic visit with my midwife. Bean and I are doing great, all is well and we are right on track. Nothing out of the ordinary to report there. My newest pregnancy "joys" for the end of my 28th week are: I'm already beginning to feel like a beached whale, which is not cool (yes, I KNOW I'm going to get much bigger!!), I'm back to peeing 8 times a night, and I spent the weekend with a wicked case of carpal tunnel (which, thanks to an Ace bandage and a chiropractic adjustment, is now under control). And even though I haven't gained a lot of weight (3 lbs in the last month), I have had to remove my rings (had to do it for the carpal tunnel, but now with the hot weather and advancing pregnancy, my fingers are a bit ... enlarged). The swelling in my feet is under control, but my sciatica is starting to flare up again. That all sounds pretty miserable, but for the most part, I feel great.

I interviewed for a job this week, but I didn't get it. It's funny, because in all the chaos of losing my job and trying to figure out how we were going to survive, John and I had come to the conclusion that it wouldn't be a bad thing for me to stay home during these last 3 months and collect unemployment. I actually want to stay home and get things done around the house, in spite of feeling obligated to bring home a hard-earned paycheck, which we so desperately need. It's a weird place to be in. But on the way to the job interview, all I could think was, "I hope I don't get it; I'd much rather stay at home." The interview went pretty well (I thought), but on the way home, all I could think was, "I hope they choose me; it would be a good job and we really need the money!"

So, it seems I still can't decide where I want to be and what I want to do, job-wise. It feels great to be home and to be "Susie Homemaker" for a change, but I also feel tremendous guilt about not earning any money. Will I ever get over it?

Remember I mentioned that my vacuum broke a few weeks ago? Well, I was going crazy with no vacuum cleaner, and my house is disastrously dirty, so I decided to use some of the gift money we got from my co-workers to buy a new vacuum. At first I felt bad about dipping into what we'd decided would be an "emergency fund" -- but this being an unbudgeted-for and unexpected expense, we decided it would be worth it. And it was! It's the best $50.00 I've spent in a long time! Apparently, my old vacuum had been broken for a while, because... well, you wouldn't believe the filth my new vacuum picked up in its first run! Horrifying! What a relief to know that my baby will be born into a clean home (about a million times cleaner than it would have been with my old vacuum)!

Later in the week, I went up to Bear Lake with my family (John joined us Friday night and Saturday). It was really nice, and a great little retreat (not to metion about 10 degrees cooler than here in the valley). Always lovely to spend time with my parents, my sister and my niece. :) We played video games, stayed up super-duper late watching movies, froze our tushies off in the water, enjoyed a top-notch local raspberry milkshake, and squoze every drop of leisure time we could out of the weekend. Sunday afternoon, John's mom and sister came to Logan and we had a great day together with them as well. All the driving back and forth to and from Bear Lake, sitting on hard chairs and sleeping in a terrible bed at the cabin, and getting the house ready for visitors really took a toll on me. My newest souvenirs of week 28 include a very sore back, a "bruised butt" (I assume from all the sitting in the car or the lovely old chairs at the lake), and suddenly feeling like I've been kicked in the crotch. WHAT'S GOING ON, BEAN? Ouch, kiddo. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment