Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Peachy Keen, Belly Bean

I just returned from my 32-week prenatal check-up with my midwife (I'll be 32 weeks on Friday), and I'm pleased to report that all is well! Got the lab results back from my blood work; everything is looking beautiful and we are measuring right on schedule and doing great.

It's so easy for me to complain about the ravages of pregnancy, but on my good days it's hard to explain that I really do love being pregnant and I'm so thankful to have this experience. Yes, I'm super emotional lately and little things may set off some waterworks, but it doesn't mean I'm constantly miserable (people are just more likely to notice how I'm feeling when I'm not feeling terrific, you know?). Yes, it's 95 degrees outside and I still have two more months of summer to endure. (Please don't remind me!) I'm not looking forward to the heat, but I do find it remarkable how, in the space of one hour, I can go from thinking, "Two more months of this? That's forever!" to, "Two more months? Time is flying by!"

My joints are loosening up now and getting around is "interesting," to say the least (yep, I've been known to waddle, on occasion. It happens!). Bean has officially found my bladder, and John gets a great laugh out of my bedtime routine (I "have to go again" every 7 minutes! I'm not exaggerating). Bean is very active; sometimes he actually hurts me, but most of the time I still love to feel his wiggles. It's such a relief to know that he's doing okay in there. He's getting so big and strong! Last week, John had his face right up by my belly, talking to Bean, and Bean gave him a big swift kick in the face! It was awesome! Of course, I prefer to think of it as, "Bean was trying to give Dada a hug, but the belly stopped him."

Right now, Bean is head-down and posterior. My midwife instructed me to do some exercises to get Bean turned around into an anterior position. Soon he'll be big enough to settle in for the long haul, and it will be easier on both of us if he's facing the other way. I must say that having the back of a baby's head nuzzling my spine explains a lot about some of my most recent physical discomforts (my hips and sacrum are ON FIRE). It also explains why I don't look as pregnant as I feel right now (because the bulk of Bean's body is all nestled away in my guts rather than ballooning out into the great beyond). So... no more sleeping in the recliner, no matter how badly my back hurts!

The other night I had some wicked insomnia, which I figure is great practice for any number of sleepless nights I'll get to look forward to with a new baby. I've also been thinking a lot about changes we need to make around the house to keep Bean safe (we've never babyproofed, and although this kid's not going to come out crawling and exploring, I still have my Mama Bear eyes peeled for any potential hazard). My protective instincts are getting pretty fierce, I must say!

These are all perfectly normal things for any 31-weeker to be going through, so even though it's new to me, I take tremendous comfort in the fact that I'm not alone, that billions of women throughout the ages have been through this very thing, and thousands upon thousands of others are experiencing it right alongside me at this very moment. The web of sisterhood I feel is strong, and I want to honor it and do these women proud by taking an active role in every moment of this experience and relishing the great opportunities it has already given me as a woman on this planet. It's awe-inspiring.

30 weeks, 4 days


It's a good thing we all get 9 whole months to prepare for parenthood. Everything is happening as it should right now, like it or not, and it really takes time for it all to sink in. Very soon, John and I will be parents! With offspring! Forever and ever! Life is wonderful, and we are so grateful that ours is turning out this way. We love you, Bean!!!

2 comments:

  1. Liz, I gotta say - that photo of you? This is the BEST I have seen you, ever. You're glowing, and at your most loveliest. I am so happy for you, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look SO beautiful!!!!
    Holy Cow!!! What a gorgeous pregger lady you are!
    Ben wants me to tell you, that you look cute. (He's blushing now....)
    Wish I could give you a great big hug. You're almost there Lady!
    Love you,
    Hollie, Ben and Elaina

    ReplyDelete