It's easy to have great intentions of posting updates about our life and how it's changing, and how Bean is growing, but there really aren't enough hours in the day. I look on in bewildered awe at anyone who can blog during the first year of their child's life. How do you do it? Because I can only steal a few minutes here and there when I'm not otherwise taking advantage of my personal time (dishes, laundry, meals, bathroom breaks, etc.) to get online, and usually the baby's in my lap or perched in one arm and typing is unthinkable. (In fact, right now, he's sleeping on a makeshift nursing pillow on my lap and I can barely reach the keyboard.)
Long story short (rather, really long story abridged):
I'm still working on my birth story. I have a lot of emotions to process about that day. I have NO regrets about having a homebirth, but let's just say it didn't go down the way I envisioned or really even expected (even though I thought I had prepared myself for just about anything). I labored for 36 hours (12 hours of latent, 24 hours of the big stuff) and pushed for nearly 3. I was utterly exhausted and have never felt more drained or traumatized. Yes, I said "traumatized." It's hard for me to even type that, but at least I'm at a point where I can admit it. It's taken me 6 weeks to feel good about Bean's birth, and it may take me 6 more to write it all down. I guess I feel that being a doula -- i.e. typically very "pie-in-the-sky" about pregnancy and childbirth in general -- opens me up to more than my fair share of judgment and criticism when I talk about my own birthing experience being difficult. People are so happy to hand out the "I told you so"s, and it dampens any glimmer of joy I might have otherwise retained in the memory of that day. Probably the biggest and most significant day of my life. Maybe I should just be more careful about whom I share it with, but the majority of the judgment and criticism right now comes from myself.
I just need more time.
The past 6 weeks have been a jumble of sleep deprivation, painful recovery, and blissful moments of falling in love with this little person we created. Adjusting to parenthood is quite the process, and we're taking it one bite at a time right now. I can go from feeling like a million bucks one moment to a crying mass of nerves the next, which is hardly unheard of. Bean is still in his "eat-sleep-poop" phase, so there's not a whole lot to talk about yet, but we do take lots of pictures when we have our wits about us to grab the camera.
Here's our newest sampling:
Cuddled up on Dada. Now that John is back to work, he doesn't get lots of Father-Son time. I love this picture. :)







Liz, go easy on yourself and take all the time you need to process your birth. You gave yourself some good advice - only share it with those whose reactions you think will be positive. This soon after giving birth the last thing you need is any "I told you so"s.
ReplyDeleteP.S. I love talking birth, even intense stories. So if ever you want to share, let me know. We can get together and chat and ogle the babes.
ReplyDelete