I really can't imagine how hard it must be for moms to go back to work after only 6 weeks of maternity leave. If I still had a job, we'd probably be going through that right now. How cruel to separate mothers and babies at such a crucial time. During this particular spell, Adam needed to be in constant physical contact with me, so he could nurse (and poop) around the clock. We barely slept, unless he was in my arms or literally on me. I was a basket case. Deliriously tired, emotionally drained and physically wiped out. Going back to work during this would have been the WORST THING EVER. I am SO grateful for John, SO glad that he is able to work and provide for us, SO appreciative of his willingness to eat "broke food" and step in late at night to look after our Little while I catch a shower or a nap. He's such a great dad and a wonderful partner. I don't know how I could do this without him.
We're finally on the other side of "hell week" and I'm happy to say, with confidence, that Bean is not permanently fussy or demanding or high needs by virtue of his personality. He's just a baby, and he's perfectly himself. ;) We have plenty more growth spurts and fussy periods in our future, but at least now I have experience and know what to expect. I've heard a lot of mothers say that they hate the newborn phase because it's so hard, and although I can see where they're coming from (it IS pretty brutal) I cherish every minute of this precious time with our gorgeous little baby. He won't be a baby for very long. :( He's growing up so fast already and we delight daily in his new discoveries and developments.
Besides, all those rough days are worth it, because we get the sweetest reward ever:







Love you three.... and yep, it's all about weathering the stormy periods and being thankful that there are sunny periods (I'm a 'Wonder Weeks' believer myself!). Thankfully, after a stormy period, they usually pop out with a new skill :)
ReplyDeleteGoing back to work at 6 weeks (with Jasper, 8 weeks with Jovie) was tough stuff for me, but at the same time, being a parent is tough in general!
Lots of cuddles for Bean x and his Mumma!
Hope you're doing well Liz x
ReplyDelete