Friday, June 27, 2008

SPAMMED!

So, I know that junk mail, e-mail spam and telemarketing are RAMPANT these days, and I do my best to avoid them or work my way around the annoyance to a point where it has little to no effect on my life. My phone numbers are registered on the National Do Not Call list. I have high security filters on my e-mail settings and I have a paper shredder for junk mail. But I've just been spanked by a NEW LOW in spamming, the text message spam. Yes, I've gotten 2-3 unsolicited text messages in the past, and it ticks me off, because I PAY FOR THEM. Annoying as #!$%, but what can you do?

Well, this is the last straw. I was woken up at FOUR O'CLOCK IN THE MORNING by a text spam.

That's 4:00, kids. A. M.

I'm on call for a doula client right now, AND Elaina's critically ill, in the hospital. This puts me on "high alert" if my phone rings in the middle of the night. I don't need to be woken from a dead sleep (albeit some weirdo dream) only to get spammed. #!$%&*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It plays out like this: John nudges me to answer my phone. I scurry to take out an earplug and clear my voice so I can answer. I'm thinking either my July 7 mama is in labor, or something terrible has happened with my baby niece. I'm too foggy to think clearly, and I don't recognize the number on the caller ID. I open the message anyway, thinking "it must be important" and see this:

nvakkeht@negativeion.net /
/ Check out the news release,
Time is ripe for Tombstone
Explor symb:TMBXF
Champagne tastes and a beer budget

From: 3808


WTF?!?!!!!!!!?!!!!!!!

All I can do is gasp out an exasperated, "oh my GOSH." This, in turn, causes John to bolt up in terror, assuming the worst (as you can imagine). I tell him it's just a spam text message.

"What time is it?"
"Four o'clock!"

John then lets loose with a torrent of obscenities on my behalf. Oh how I love this man. :D <3>:( I'm finally able to fall into a half-sleep just before my alarm clock goes off and I have to get ready for work. this is bull$#!+.

Today I lodged a complaint with the FCC, but that doesn't make it any better. I want someone to BURN IN HELL. ("Flames? on the side of my face...")

I just needed to rant about this. I also need a nap. (And chocolate, but that goes without saying.) Thanks fer playin'



No comments:

Post a Comment