Okay, I'm going to blame PMS on this one, because I can't stop thinking about FOOD today! We're having family over this weekend, and I'll be making THE BEST CHOCOLATE CAKE EVER. I can't wait. I don't care about the rest of that day, I just want the cake. I just HAVE to share this recipe with you. I had a college roommate who used to make this cake and I've been on a quest for the recipe for quite a while. I made it for an office party last week, and people raved about it. I can only make it for special occasions, because John is not a sweet-carbs junkie like I am, so if I ever make cakes or cookies, I end up eating it ALL. (no wonder I'm fat) So here you go. This is the BEST chocolate cake I've ever had! It's insanely moist and dense, but NOT overly rich. It doesn't need frosting (which is good for me, since frosting makes me SO sick), and it has a glorious twist at the end (or 2, entirely optional, of course).... read on:
CHOCOLATE APPLESAUCE CAKE
1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 Tbsp milk
2 cups unsweetened applesauce
2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional twist #1)
2 cups (1 12oz bag) semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease (or Pam spray) a 9"x13" cake pan.
Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt & cinnamon and set aside. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar, then add in eggs, milk and vanilla until well blended. Alternately fold the applesauce and dry ingredients in to the batter. (Use a spoon for this step. A mixer will leave your entire kitchen coated in flour. trust me.)
After batter is combined, stir in 1 cup of the chocolate chips.
Pour batter into greased cake pan and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of chocolate chips on top, in an even layer.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. DO NOT OVERBAKE (watch carefully).
(Optional twist #2) If desired, set cake under broiler for 1-3 minutes (watch carefully).
Cool completely before serving (cover with cloth or foil--not plastic--to retain moisture).
Now, you'll be tempted to eat this right out of the oven, which is fine, but believe me, it will KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF after it has cooled completely. Broiling the top layer of chocolate chips makes the cocoa-butter seep into the cake and you're left with dark-cocoa "crumbles" that are out of this world. (Even if you skip the broiler step, the deliciousness of this cake will still make you cry. Chocolate is love.) AND the touch of cinnamon in this cake enhances the flavor of the applesauce and adds a "warmth" and "depth" to the whole experience. I don't need to tell you that the applesauce makes this cake SO moist and cool, you'll forget about frosting or ice cream. Friends and neighbors will kiss your feet for this yummy lil guy. *nom nom nom*
Wednesday, August 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment