Over the years, as his personal eccentricity grew and his artistic prowess declined, I lost interest in the "new" Michael Jackson. I embraced the "old school" MJ, and felt rather sorry for (and removed from) the ever-changing and somewhat sad and pathetic MJ. He had a strange life and seemed to be digging himself into an ever deeper hole of self-destruction. I never doubted for a moment that he was a darling, lovable, genuinely kind-hearted soul, even if in his oddness he drew criticism and suspicion. It saddened me to watch this once brilliant, powerful, handsome and courageous man deteriorate so pitifully into a mere shell of what he'd been. So very, very sad.
Friday, June 26, 2009
I have to say it...
I'm totally weirded out by the death of Michael Jackson.
Before I was a die-hard Beatles fan (and those of you who know me well can attest to my fanaticism), I was a die-hard Michael Jackson fan. I had his posters on my bedroom wall. I had teen mags, buttons, stickers, t-shirts, notebooks, trading cards, and even a Michael Jackson "action" figure. "Thriller" was the first record I ever owned (Christmas 1983 -- Thanks, Dad) and I must have listened to it over a hundred times. I have a rather impressive (I think) collection of hard-to-find Jackson Five CDs. I've watched "The Wiz" so many times that I can quote parts of it by memory and often find myself breaking into songs that no one else around me has ever heard. I will not hesitate to tell you that "Off the Wall" is probably the single greatest dance album ever made. Even though I no longer consider myself an MJ "super-fan," a big corner of my heart is still reserved for all things Michael.
So, even though I'm utterly shocked and stunned by this news, I can't say I'm terribly surprised (he's been in very fragile health for several years, after all), or even devastated (that ship has sailed). But it is a sad day, and a great loss for the music industry and his millions of devoted fans.
Thanks for the great music, happy memories and fun times, Michael. It was nice having you around. [[hug]]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










No comments:
Post a Comment