Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I am a domestic goddess.

So, John and I decided to try our hands at making bread from scratch this weekend. We had just enough ingredients in our cupboards to do it, so I looked up a bunch of recipes (based on the availability of items on hand) and we tried one. It turned out okay (just okay, it was dry and a little bland, but nothing a little bit of strawberry jam couldn't fix), but we had loads of fun! Who knew it would be so exciting to wait for bread dough to rise? Our proofing, kneading, punching and shaping definitely requires some fine-tuning, but considering it was our first attempt ever, we were pretty pleased with ourselves. :D So, since our first foray didn't fail completely, we figured we could learn from our mistakes and try again. Practice makes perfect, after all. And nothing is quite as satisfying as that first bite of freshly-baked bread. (Well, this is coming from a food addict. You might find this kind of satisfaction elsewhere.)

I couldn't wait for next weekend to try again. I was feeling in a "bakey" mood last night, so I found a different recipe and paid closer attention to the method and made a new batch. It turned out great! I'm so excited. :) I'm ready to make bread, rather than buy it, for the rest of my life. (Yes, I know that's a tad ambitious for someone like me, but... WHY NOT? seriously.) John and I remarked how people have been making bread for thousands of years, and if they can do it, I can do it. I immediately had an image of my grandmothers' grandmothers kneading bread and felt a warm sense of connection to my heritage. It was a little emotional for me (yes, I know it's corny, but it took me by surprise). I know they were strong, hardworking, amazing women. I want to be like them and honor them in some way. I never knew them, but their blood flows through me. Sometimes I feel very powerless and insignificant; too dependent upon technology and convenience; complacent, lazy, good-for-nothing.... but knowing the strength of the people who came before me is good motivation to get off my booty and make something worthwhile of myself. And maybe buffing up my arms by making bread is a good place to start. :)

(how about a little bread with that CHEESE. yeesh.)

2 comments:

  1. I actually just learned to make bread. I've only had a few successful loaves, but hey, I'm working on it!! Good Job!! You will have to bring me a loaf..Kidding. BTW, got a reference call on you. Gave you glowing reviews because you totally rocked and totally deserve it. Totally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last spring my mother-in-law gave me a wheat grinder and 100 pounds of wheatberries. We instantly became addicted to fresh ground whole wheat bread! Yummm! I didn't do it for more than a few months though because I am too lazy and good for nothing to do that every day! That being said,I also respect the women of the ages (including my own grandmother) who would do this every day for their families. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete