Thursday, October 30, 2008

Found: The Perfect Pumpkin Cookie

A couple of weeks ago I bemoaned the fact that I had yet to come across a recipe for "the perfect pumpkin cookie." My favorite pumpkin cookies come from the bakery at a grocery store called Macey's, in Orem, Utah. (Or they did, until about 3 years ago when they modified their recipe. I swear.) Our local Macey's here in Logan does an okay job at the pumpkin cookie, but they're not exactly what I'm after.

And I'm not about to drive 100 miles to Orem. Even for cookies.

After I complained about it for a while and ruined my last disastrous batch of pumpkin pucks,
my sister found a recipe that was darn near perfect. It was the closest I've ever come to the "quintessential pumpkin cookie goodness" that I've been after for 2+ years, and it was arguably the most exciting discovery in my kitchen since non-stick foil (p.s. you need some). The recipe, despite its sheer awesomeness, still required some minor tweaking and fine-tuning to meet my full approval (i.e. more pumpkin, more cinnamon, less fluff-factor) and earn the distinction of being "The Perfect Pumpkin Cookie." I tweak recipes all the time with great success *cough*Becky'sCarrotCake*cough*, so I knew it could be done.

Now, my friends, we have a winner! This is an exact replica of the old-school Macey's pumpkin cookie! (For the record, I must say that I am eternally grateful to Hollie for supplying me with the master recipe, but I will never forgive her for the 10 pounds I've gained in the last week alone from eating batch upon batch of experimental cookies. --j/k, this is all my fault. Even though John claims he helped with the eating, I know I ate most of them. And I did it on purpose, too.) ;)

Behold, The Perfect Pumpkin Cookie.
by Liz. :p

1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin (not spiced!)
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Combine the pumpkin, sugar, vegetable oil, and egg.
2. Dissolve the baking soda with the milk and stir it into the pumpkin mixture.
3. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and salt. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and mix well.
4. Add vanilla and chocolate chips.
5. Drop by spoonful on greased cookie sheet (or non-stick foil) and bake at 350 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until lightly brown and firm.
6. Cool on wire rack. Store loosely covered.

A standard size (1 Tbsp.) cookie scoop will yield about 3 dozen small cookies. For "real" Macey's pumpkin cookies, use a 3 Tbsp-sized ice cream scoop and increase baking time to 20 minutes.


We've found that the best way to truly enjoy these is the NEXT DAY after the cookies have cooled completely and the chocolate chips have returned to their non-mushy sexiness. (That's right, I said sexiness.) As much as I might love warm, gooey, freshly-baked cookies, these cookies don't play that game. Somehow the satisfying crunch of firm dark chocolate kicks the quality of these guys up about 8,000 notches.

I'm just sayin' ;)

p.s. It's my birthday today!!!!! I'm still 29 until John catches up with me. ;)

p.p.s. 5 days until the election! Go! Vote! Win! Rah! Yeah! :)

4 comments:

  1. I am going to have to try them. We make a very yummy pumpkin cookie that is iced, no chocolate chips, but I really love chocolate chip pumpkin cookies too. :)

    I hate it when places mess with their recipes. I can always tell, even if other people can't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! I'm glad you got the perfect pumpkin cookie to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!! Tried the recipe, and that is one of the best pumpkin cookies I have ever had!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is obviously YEARS after you have posted this, but I am here to thank you all the same. I found a copycat of Harmon's pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, but my husband declared they weren't as dense as Maceys cookies -- a little too fluffy. Enter the egg, 1/2 cup more flour, eh voila! Thanks for the tweaks to the recipe I was already making to make them perfectly like Maceys cookies! :D

    ReplyDelete