I'm so anxious about the election results that I can hardly stand it. I remember how the news networks pulled a royal screw-up in 2000 by calling it for Al Gore before the polls had closed, and I want to avoid the "premature announcement jones" that all the talking heads on the news stations just LOVE to indulge (p.s. I HATE THOSE GUYS). This presidential race is SO close and SO monumental, that it doesn't seem fair (or rational) to call it until all the votes have been cast. At least give people a chance to get their votes in! Where's the patience? Where's the sensibility?
I hope I can stay away from the news until there's an actual, obvious announcement. To me, this is like waiting until Christmas morning to open your presents. They don't count as Christmas presents if you open them before-hand. The thrill is gone. The gratification is empty and anti-climactic. Then you have nothing to make Christmas morning special and worth looking forward to, you know? SO not worth it.
Instead, I plan to divert my attention elsewhere until I can stand it no longer. I'm intrigued by the Daily Show/Colbert Report Election Special, but maybe I should avoid anything Election-y altogether until I know it's official. Delay the gratification, if you will. Who's with me?
I have another gripe about Election Day. I think the electoral college system is outdated and unnecessary in this day and age. If we really want a government of the people and by the people, we should count the votes. Just count them. We have the technology to do that. I'm a blue voter in a red state, and my vote doesn't count. I think it's ridiculous that the "swing" states get so much focus and carry so much weight, and my blue vote in a "solid red state" counts for naught (Same thing for you red voters in blue states). THEN, if you are in a hypothetical 49% minority in a swing state, your vote also counts for naught. It's ridiculous. How about counting ALL the votes and the candidate with the majority wins? Or if you MUST have an electoral college vote that represents your state, how about it actually represents the state? Like if 2/5 of Utah voters vote for Obama (it could happen), then 2 of Utah's 5 electoral votes should be for Obama. To represent all of the voters here. I'm sick and tired of not having a voice.
I'm not a political science scholar, or even well-versed in how voting works, or why it "needs" to work the way it currently does, but I sure think this way is stupid.
AND one last gripe: If I have to see one more "Yes on 8" banner ad on any website that I visit (including my own blog), it will be one too many. Those ads are SO offensive to me. I've already deleted a gadget from my blog because it included a "Yes on 8" ad. Those ads are NOT WELCOME on our blog. I'm sure you've seen the "Protect Marriage" ad. It actually says, in big black-and-white letters "Eliminate Rights." ELIMINATE THE RIGHTS of hard-working, law-abiding, California citizens who just want to keep, love and provide for their families. How about NO!!!!!!!!!! This is so reprehensible and morally repugnant to me. If you could see me right now, you'd see cartoon flames shooting out of my ears. I'm sick of it. Just. plain. sick of it.I've had too much caffeine today and I'm all hopped-up and trembly and about to have a heart attack (p.s. caffeine is bad for you. moderation, people). So I'll stop blogging for now.
The end.







I very much agree that the electoral college is outdated. I wish that it could just be popular votes.
ReplyDeleteYou must be a happy girl today though! ;)
Oh, I'm all over the emotional map today. Thrilled about Obama's win, but devastated about Prop 8 passing in California. It's a big punch in the gut for human rights, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a Californian, nor am I in a same-sex relationship, so this doesn't directly effect me. It effects people I know and love. And I AM an American citizen and a human being on this planet who cares deeply about this issue in that way, it effects me tremendously. The ramifications of this could end up effecting me in some small way. I'm just clinging to the hope that this is far from over. To quote from another blog that I frequent:
ReplyDelete...the Supreme Court could decide (and quite probably might) that Prop. 8 is a revision, rather than an amendment. A revision takes a 2/3rds majority of each house to pass, rather than by passing a mere initiative. As this case invoves magical law words “suspect class” and as marriage had already been defined as a “fundamental right” this is a distinct possibility.
Second, the California Supreme Court has indicated that if same sex couples can’t marry, then under the 14th amendment it is quite possible that no one can marry. Civil unions all around, like exist in many European countries.
So, I guess we'll see. Justice and freedom will prevail. If it doesn't, we're all screwed.