Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Sleepless in my townhome

Wow... What a weekend, and it didn't last nearly long enough.

Do you ever have days where you just feel exhausted, but you can't seem to sleep it off?

Things to do when you just can't doze off......

1) Follow a ripple through the paint on the wall or ceiling. A classic for me, one I try to do often when I can't sleep. Rating 4/10

2) Counting. Doesn't really work for me, I get bored and I start thinking about a movie I saw, or a game I played. Rating 2/10

3) Imagine floating in outerspace, or any kind of weightlessness. It can help me relax if my body is restless, but if my mind won't shut off, it is mostly useless. Rating 5/10

4) Listen to music, something very familiar to you. Something I can sing along with in my brain is a nice way of turning off my thoughts, and is a nice way to get over that last little edge. Must be very tired for it to work, but it is highly effective. 7/10

5) Take a hot shower/bath. This one helps my muscles relax, and feels good, but is very much a hit or miss for getting me to fall asleep. Still is enjoyable. Rating 6/10

6) Last Resort - Sleep aids. Benadryl, Tylenol PM, Unisom, Melatonin. Extremely effective. Take a little time to kick in, but can push past the last little bit with ease. However, side effects make me feel miserable in the morning. Effectiveness Rating 8/10, How I feel in the morning 1/10.

7) Doing something to pass the time as you contine to get more and more tired. Well.... I guess I'll tell you tomorrow. Lets see how it worked.

Feel free to post your own self-hypnotic methods, or comment on mine. Good night. :)

1 comment:

  1. My personal favorite way to relax away insomnia is a nice back rub. *hint hint*

    If my darling husband isn't available to administer back rubs, I usually resort to a combination of 3 and 4. I try to think of my HypnoBirthing scripts and relax every muscle in my body (focusing on the sensations of being relaxed, rather than thinking about "not thinking"). BUT listening to familiar music is the clincher. I'll choose Beatles music over just about anything else because it's like soul food to me. When I'm anxious or restless it soothes me as well as, or better than, any lullaby.

    ReplyDelete